2012 Best Buffalo Chili Recipe Winner - Reverend Red's Chili by Mary Lou Flocchini
2012 National Bison Association “Best Buffalo Chili Recipe” Contest Winner
Reverend Red’s Chili Recipe
Submitted by Mary Lou Flocchini
5 lbs. bison (preferably roast)
2 tablespoon Salt
1 tablespoon course black pepper
6 teaspoon cumin (powdered)
3 teaspoon paprika
3 tablespoon ground pasillla (or ground chili powder)
4 teaspoon ground red chili pepper
2 jalapeno chili peppers
4 garlic cloves
½ large red onion
1 15 oz. can tomatoes sauce (2 cans of water also)
2 teaspoon oregano
2 oz. beer
4 tablespoon oil
1. Cube bison meat into small cubes about the size of end of finger. Frosted meat cuts easier.
2. Chop onion fine
3. Roast and peel jalapeno peppers. Split, remove insides and seeds, chop.
4. Peel tomatoes, and dice (should yield one to 1.5 cups).
5. Place meat, onion, garlic and jalapeno in 1 gallon pot
6. Cook above ingredients in pot, stirring frequently until meat is grey.
7. Add tomato sauce and other spices,. Crush oregano before adding.
8. Add one can of water and save one to add as necessary.
9. Simmer for one to 1.5 hours.
10. Allow chili to get thick, but add water as necessary.
11. Drink remaining beer while waiting.